Friday, July 23, 2010

The Disturbing Reality

So with all that's going on with the oil spill in the Gulf, Wade & I have been pretty down about all of it. We wonder if we should spend the money to replace our boat battery....asking ourselves if we'll even get to use it much longer. We discuss taking a day to go fishing down on the island (St. George Island...where we got married) as we've heard that they've seen some effects from the oil. I guess we are still in the "holding our breath" pattern, anxiously waiting to see if our precious coastline will suffer the way so many say it will.

This past Saturday, we took a little day trip over to Destin, FL, just to get away for the day. Destin is one of our favorite spots, as the water there often reminds us of the Caribbean. It's almost always crystal clear/turquoise and amazing. Even though we didn't go over to "go" to the beach, we couldn't help but take a peek.

Coming over the bridge from Destin to Ft. Walton

We did see a little Coastie action, but nothing too concerning.

All looks good, so far...

Following my Prince...

Looking good to me...



And then, we see it...
and reality sets in...
and makes us sad....
and a little mad....
and then sad some more....

And then we leave, wondering if this is as bad as it will get, or are we still awaiting the worst of this horrible mess.



3 comments:

  1. What are they raking up in those pictures? The sand looks clean as always.

    And I hope and pray that recovery is fast. I can't imagine the damage being done to the economy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you and I wonder why more of the families who are personally impacted by the oil spill aren't on Oprah or on Fox telling their experiences. All I hear is BP said this and BP said that?? But I can't believe that all the beaches look as nice as the one you've posted pictures of. Keep us posted okay? Hello, I'm your newest follower from the Friday blog hop. I hope you come visit and follow my blog so I can keep up with what's happening down there. Plus you can't have too many blogging buddies, right?

    Haupi
    http://hauplight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy-I guess it was little pieces if tar balls or oil residue in the sand. We didn't really see anything in the water, but it was crazy to me that dozens of these workers are walking the beach "cleaning" and wearing rubber boots, but people of all ages are laying/playing in the sand and water with nothing more than swimsuits on! If they have to wear rubber boots for protection, is it really safe for the general public to be exposed? Hmm. The beach did look amazingly beautiful, as always. Do you ever come down this way?

    Haupi-Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm not entirely sure about all the media coverage of the oil spill....seems like differing stories depending on who you listen to (which is the case for just about anything newsworthy!) and we were surprised to see very little effects on the beach at Destin. I can't really speak for other areas though....I hear it's worse the further west you go (closer to Louisiana). We are sad for the local businesses that are suffering, angry that it seems like it's taking so long for those responsible to step up and take action, but also thankful that for the most part, most of OUR local beaches seem to have escaped the worst of it, so far.

    ReplyDelete